The Oculus Quest 2 Sends A Teen To The Hospital

A teenager was hospitalized after a severe allergic reaction to the Oculus Quest 2 headset he was given as a gift.

A teenager was hospitalized in the UK last week after suffering a severe allergic reaction to the Oculus Quest 2. Oculus was founded in 2012 and was taken over by what was then Facebook, now Meta, in 2014. The original Quest VR headset was launched in 2019 before the company launched the Quest 2 with a Qualcomm SoC, additional RAM, a better headband design, and improved controllers the following year.

The Quest 2 is generally well received by fans and is quite popular because it does not have to be connected to a PC or external sensors. It’s a completely wireless device that works over Wi-Fi and internal storage, giving gamers the full VR experience. The device also provides access to web browsers, Netflix, and other applications. One of the top reasons it’s popularity, however, is its price, which at $ 299 for the 128GB model makes it one of the most affordable full-featured VR headsets available to buy right now.


Related: The Oculus Quest is dead – Facebook confirms renaming to “Meta Quest”

Lewis Gray, 13, from Chertsey, Surrey, was hospitalized after suffering a severe allergic reaction to the Oculus Quest 2 headset he received as a Christmas present from his grandparents. According to the Hull Daily Mail, the boy was overjoyed with his new toy and played with it for a few hours on Christmas Day. However, his joy turned to pain and extreme discomfort the next day when he woke up with red spots on his cheekbones and forehead. His mother gave him some over-the-counter allergy medication, but the situation worsened the next day when his eyes were “almost closed from the swelling,” which prompted worried parents to take him to the hospital. Fortunately, the boy recovered after receiving antihistamines and steroids.

Thousands of complaints about allergic reactions

Facebook logo above a player with an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset

It is noteworthy that this is not the first time that complaints about allergic reactions have plagued the device. There have been reports of at least 5,716 complaints of allergic reactions to the foam used in the inner lining of the Oculus Quest 2. In fact, last July, based on reports of allergies and skin irritation, the device was temporarily recalled before the company returned the device. in circulation, but with a free silicone headset cover as a potential protection against adverse reactions.

However, the silicone cover is not pre-installed, but packed separately in the box. The family also claim they have not received any literature warning them of possible allergic reactions and instructing users to put the cover on before use. Lewis’ mom is also upset that the company continues to make the headset unchanged, despite knowing it poses a major health hazard to thousands of VR users around the world.

Next: Facebook wants to double sales of VR headsets, but can it boost the metaverse?

Source: Hull Daily Mail

Mark Watney's Mars sound recording on Mars

Human cannibalism may be inevitable, scientists warn

Comments are closed.