Here is how one can Play VR Video games on PC with an Oculus Quest 2
Oculus Quest 2 is a stand-alone headset popular around the world and gaming enthusiasts loved the VR headsets. However, you can plug it into your gaming PC for an exclusive VR experience. If you’re looking for step-by-step instructions on how to connect the two devices, you’ve come to the right place. The VR headset can work with wired or wireless connections and you also get full access to Steam VR and a large number of PC VR games.
There are few things that you need to get your PC VR games playing with your Oculus Quest. For example an Oculus Quest, a VR-enabled PC, a USB cable with a USB-C port for a wired connection, a 5 GHz 802.11 AC / Wi-Fi 5 router that connects to your VR PC via Ethernet is the Oculus Quest software for Windows and a PC VR game.
Also note the length of your USB cable. If you’re planning on standing or sitting stationary play, a shorter cord will do the job. However, if you want a larger play area you will need a long USB cable.
Prepare your play area boundary
Before connecting the VR headset to your gaming PC, you need to plan your gaming limits. You can set your play area boundary while searching in standalone mode. Whenever your request encounters an area that is not stored in your boundary information, you will be prompted to create a new one.
Quest 2 set up a wired connection
- The first time you use your Quest with your PC, there are some initial settings you will need to do. When you’re done with the initial setup, download the Oculus software for Windows PC.
- After downloading the software, launch the installer and follow the steps on the screen. This application requires 5 GB of data.
- After installation, the software will ask you to create your account or log into your existing Oculus account. Here you should note that Quest 2 users will need to link their Facebook account.
- And once you’ve logged into your Oculus application, you’re now ready to set up your Quest for PC VR.
- First you need to select the devices from the left sidebar. Then click the Add Headset option.
- Now you need to choose your headset model.
- You also need to select the link cable option.
- After that, you’ll need to plug one end of your cable into the PC and the other end into your search. If you are using a USB 3 cable, make sure your PC supports the USB 3 port.
- Just in case you are using a USB 2 connection, the software will send a warning. However, this is not the point to worry about as you can play games with compressed images using a USB-2 cable.
- Once the setup is complete, you will get the setup complete screen. Once you get this screen, close this software and put on your connected headset.
- Once you’ve put on your headset, you’ll be asked if you’d like to activate the Oculus Link. After saying yes, you will be moved to the PC Oculus environment.
- That’s it, now you are ready to play games on your Oculus Quest headset.
Native Oculus games
You can play your native Oculus PC games with your Quest as easily as your native Quest games. Once you’ve reached your Oculus virtual storage space, you’ll have access to your entire library. You can choose any game you want to play.
Steam VR and other VR games on Quest 2
If you want to play games other than those available in the official Oculus library, good news is for you. According to the official forum, every game that is compatible with the old Oculus Rift is also available for Quest and you will need the Oculus link for that.
Before you can start your Steam VR game with your Quest, you need to make sure that Steam VR is installed on your system. To download Steam VR, you will need to browse the Steam storefront and install it on your PC. After that, there are many ways to start your Steam VR game to play with your Quest. But all of these methods require the Oculus software to be open.
Set up a wireless connection
- To set up your Quest wirelessly with your PC, you need to use the Oculus Airlink. The wireless connection process is similar to the Oculus wired link method. This means that you don’t have to worry about the length of the cable when playing your PC VR games and you can move around freely.
- The Airlink function is currently in the test phase. To access the beta version you will need to go to the settings option and then find beta in the Oculus PC software. You will also need to enable the feature in your Quest headset settings while it is in standalone mode. You can find this feature under the Experimental Features option.
- Once this feature is enabled on both devices, you need to make sure that your PC and Quest are on the same Wi-Fi network. For best results, you can connect your PC to your router via Ethernet. The Quest must be connected to the router using a 5 GHz frequency band over 802.11ac Wi-Fi or it should be connected to Wi-Fi 6.
- Once everything is done, select the quick settings in your Quest and go to the Air-Link option. After that, you can see the list of Airlink-enabled PCs on this network. As soon as you have selected your PC, you will be moved to the oculus PC environment. And from now on, you’ll need to follow exactly the same steps as you did with the wired connection to play games with your Quest wirelessly.